Saturday June 23, 2012
Africa: Day 13
I woke up
this morning relieved that I hadn’t been eaten alive by mosquitoes and any
other large insects and had breakfast with the crocodiles. The restaurant is essentially a patio that
the sits right on the edge of the lake, so we watched a couple of crocodiles
that were just over the half-wall basking in the morning sun. There were also thousands of black and yellow
finch-sized birds making nests in the trees right by our table. A few yards away in the pond was a little
island where the finches and bigger white egrets were nesting.
We then
drove to Kakum National Park. I was so
excited to see my first rain forest, but I was nervously anticipating part of
the hike. We took a short trail through
the towering trees, vines, and green undergrowth until we came to the Canopy
Walk. This is a series of seven
suspension bridges that are hung between the tops of the trees. As you stand swinging on the bridge, you can
look down the hundreds of feet below you and see the layers of rain forest
growth. I guess if you are extremely
lucky you may see the snakes, monkeys, and pygmy elephants that live in the
jungle. I don’t love heights, so it took
a lot for me to even want to look down at all.
Despite the fear, it was amazing to see the world from this unique
vantage point.
After I was
happily on solid ground, we drove for a couple of hours to the small coastal
village of Busua where we stayed in a little bed and breakfast run by a French
couple. It was quite the change from
last night’s accommodations. We were
immediately introduced to Miss Monkey.
We were warned to keep our doors locked and valuables close to us
because this monkey that adopted the hotel about three years ago loves to
explore and abscond with visitors’ belongings. Miss Monkey also likes to join
you at the restaurant patio and will lie down on the table in front of you
waiting for you to scratch her behind her ear.
The Busua
Inn is right along the beach, only about fifty feet from the ocean. Just off the coast there is a very small
island with two coconut trees growing at the edge. I’m pretty sure that’s where every cartoon or
movie with a deserted island got the idea from.
We dropped off our stuff in our rooms and walked down the mile of white
sandy beach. It was so refreshing to
have the beach mostly to ourselves.
There were a few local kids playing soccer, but other than that, we
pretty much had the beach to ourselves.
Well, we
thought we had the beach to ourselves…We had gone to explore a little tributary
that was coming through the thick jungle growth that surrounded the beach. As we turned around to head back to the
ocean, the next thing I see is five 10-year-olds with machetes blocking the exit
of the small path we had just gone down.
I suddenly had a Lord of the Flies
moment and wasn’t sure how we were going to escape this scene. My next thought was wondering why Ghana had
child soldiers and was racking my brain about any discussions we had in school
about recent conflicts in this country. We
all kept walking with nervous smiles toward the beach, and the kids just kept
staring at us. Then they started running
down the beach in front of us, pausing every once in a while to swing the
machete through a sand pile or use it to rapidly dig in another area. It turns out they were crab-hunting. They thought it was fun to catch a crab, chop
of its pinchers with their large knives or just rip them off if the machete
wasn’t working, and then want us to hold their prize catch. The kids were amazingly fast, too. If a crab got loose and ran into the water,
the kids within seconds would chase it and then scoop it right out of the
surf. I still can’t figure out how they
got them back every single time.
I kept
laughing at how much we do to protect our kids.
The phrase “don’t run with scissors” seemed so ridiculous at the time as
I watched the kids running, jumping, and clambering up coconut trees with their
heavy blades.
We cleaned
up and had a delicious dinner at the little French restaurant at the Inn. We ate under the patio while looking at the
bright lights of the big dipper and listening to the sounds of the waves. The peace and serenity were abruptly
interrupted when I realized I wasn’t the only one who was enjoying my seafood
dinner. As I was finishing up, my
friends told me there was a cockroach on my plate. I didn’t believe them at first, but then I
looked and saw a giant roach crawling right up on my plate and settling itself
on the rest of my rice. James, the quiet
head waiter who grew up in this village told me that this is the first time
that this has ever happened. It would have to happen to me-the girl who ranks
these awful little creatures as her #1 fear.
No comments:
Post a Comment