Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ms. Chilz, is you married?

You would think by now that I wouldn't be surprised by the level of randomness that some students achieve when it comes to the timing of questions.

Right in the middle of a very energetic discussion on compound words, I got excited to see one kid perk up and look like he was finally going to participate. I immediately called on him when he raised his hand thinking that he had some great insight on the complex word "backyard".

Instead I got:
"Ms. Chilz, is you married?"

I tried to hide the confusion in my voice.
"Uh, no."

"Then why you gots that ring on your finger?"

I then realized he was referring to my CTR ring. I quickly explained that it was on my right hand and not my left and hopelessly tried to return to the lesson.

Another kid then asked "what does it say on it?"

I told the class that it said "CTR" which stands for "Choose the Right". I also told them that I wear it because it helps me remember to make good choices.

I couldn't help but laugh as one child quickly responded in a tone that implied I have no self-control without it, "Ms. Chilz, you better not EVER take that off!!!"

This conversation continued, despite my best efforts to bring them back to grammar (amazing they didn't seem to want to return). Questions like "how long have you had it" and "how much did it cost" were thrown out. When I told them that my first CTR ring cost 25 cents, one kid said "you must have gotten it out of the vending machine, huh."

I think he's on to something. I think I may suggest his idea to Desert Book. They could start a whole supermarket* franchise- CTR Bling!


*fantastic compound word

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is good! you can't make this stuff up!
Mindy

Anonymous said...

lol. Hilarious. I can't help but wonder if the student was implying your decisions *with* the ring were bad enough... so without it they'd be unbearable? :) J/k. It seems like the kids like you.

Myra Bybee said...

Oh Ms. Chilz you can't take that ring off; I know what you do with it on! I can't imagine what would happen if you took it off!

Vanessa Swenson said...

Ms. Chilz, dat ring got powers. Mmm hmmm. You betta leave it on yo finga. You don't never know what dem udda peopo could be doin!
CDR, Choose Da Right!

just a little bit mo said...

I love it. Amazing story.