Sunday, November 2, 2008

Some Clarification Needed

Dear Venice Beach Street Vendor,
Yesterday as I was enjoying my stroll through a people-watchers paradise, you approached me with a cd of your music. While I have no doubt that you are an incredibly gifted musician, I had no intentions of purchasing anything from anyone during my walk along the crowded beach-side street. As we parted ways, your last comments to me were a bit confusing. I would appreciate some some clarification on what you meant when you yelled back to me,
"I can see you're scared. You'll be really scared when Obama gets elected!"

Were you referreing to me being:
  • scared of tripping and knocking all my teeth out
  • scared of cockroaches (dead or alive)
  • scared of getting a life-long case of hiccups
  • scared of loved ones suffering from any number of physical or emotional pain
  • scared of finding out I inadvertantly offended someone
  • scared of losing a student due to neighborhood violence
  • scared of my students participating in neighborhood violence
  • scared of not meeting the academic needs of my students
  • scared of not meeting the emotional needs of my students
  • scared of students or loved ones getting caught up in cheap thrills instead of eternal happiness
  • scared of the world's insistence of calling evil good and good evil
  • scared of the fact that racial tension and stereo-types are still alive and thriving

If this is what you meant by "scared", then you are right. I am scared spitless.

If you meant I was scared by a street vendor who happened to be African-American, then boy, you got me all messed up!

2 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

Miz Chilz, if he only knew you half black!

Adam Stephanie KaileeJo Taydom and Hadley said...

Hey Erika,
It sounds like you are having another fun year in Las Vegas. I don't know if you knew this or not, but Steph and I just moved to Houston and I am a fourth grade teacher here. Anyway, I was just reading your blog about the child that has no electricity at home and how a lot of the children don't have much to go home to. Well, I know exactly what you mean. I work in almost the same school you do, only mine is new:) I wanted to ask your advice on something. I have had a problem with not only getting the kids to do their homework, but also to just be excited about school and learning in general. They seem to just think that their life is going to be the same as their parents and that there is nothing that they can do about it. As if though they are just giving up. Anyway, if you have any advice of what you have done with your students I would very much appreciate it. I know that you are a marvelous teacher and can tell that you truely care for them so any thoughts would be much appreciated.
I hope all is well and continue doing what you are doing, because at least the kids from last year, I could tell really looked up to you and loved you.