Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A bit of a challenge

Well, my little school just keeps pushing along. I get to school by 6:30 each morning, and leave around 5:30 most evenings (and I still haven't figured out how to not take work home, which adds another few hours to the work day). Needless to say, I look forward to the 15 minutes set aside to sit down and eat some lunch each day.

You would think that by now I wouldn't get caught off-guard by "I can't do my homework" excuses. I have heard some great tales. This afternoon I heard a new one. As I was tutoring a student after school, I told him that I would give him some multiplication flashcards to take home to practice. He quickly told me that he couldn't.
"You can't?" I asked him with a tone that implied "that answer doesn't work for me".
"No", he said. "We don't have any lights."
With a bit of further questioning, I found that this family hasn't had electricity for a long time. They eat fast food every night for dinner because the fridge requires power to work, but they do have enough blankets to keep them warm at night.
I tried to recover quickly from the look of disbelief, sympathy, and frustration over these additional challenges that my students live with. No wonder he's lacking basic math facts. It's hard to practice at home when you are trying to do your homework by candlelight (literally. They don't have any flashlights).

I learned today that I need to "get over myself" when I feel like working 16+ hour days is hard. At least I can pull something out of the fridge for dinner, heat it up in a microwave, turn on a computer, and work until midnight by the light of a 60-watt bulb.

7 comments:

Alexis said...

woah. Yeah, that sure puts things into perspective!
Speaking of electricity, an the joys that accompany it, did Chandler tell you about ooVoo? On Sunday, we almost had a full family reunion via webcam. You need to join us! Although I feel like you are with us everyday when we watch "BEPA!!!"...the movie.

Lili said...

Wow, Bepa. Your stories amaze me.

nateandrebecca said...

Wow. I have sometimes sort of wondered what it would be like to live without any electricity...using only candle and fire light. But preferably not while doing homework...that is definitely not a challenge I would have normally ever expected to be among those of kids living in this country at least.

Jenny said...

Erika, your posts are always so humbling. I appreciate them every time.

Douglas Family said...

It's these little glimpses that we get into others lives that help us appreciate our own. I definitely do NOT have ANYTHING to complain about! Keep up the good work. They are blessed to have you.
Michelle

Geniel said...

I am duly humbled by this touching tale. Do you think we can find an extension cord that will reach from here to there?

The Chris Jackson's said...

Man, you always amazed us in Provo Bepa, but you are one strong woman! Take care! Oh, and we will be in Vegas in January. If you have time we should meet up for dinner or something?