Last week I was called out by a co-worker twice during various meetings claiming that I don't "understand the culture", followed by implied and direct comments that a white Mormon girl from Utah can't be an effective teacher at our school. (My feelings: It's 2009. Why are we still trying to view the world through stereotypes?).
Today I went to see some kids (who were kicked out of our school) perform at a dance concert at a neighboring school. As I sat by my friend V., holding two of her sleeping nephews on my lap, I heard this lady lean over to V. and started whispering about who I was. She then asked me where I was from. She wasn't very good at hiding the surprised look, then finally said "Wow. You sure aint act like a Utah girl". (My feelings: It's 2009. Why are we still trying to view the world through stereotypes?).

P.S. I was flattered when I was later invited to this lady's church which she is just starting. Maybe someday I can return the favor and invite her to mine.
4 comments:
I agree, amen sister : )
That is awful what the other teacher said.
I am a fellow teacher in Arizona. I recently discovered your blog and enjoy reading of your adventures in the classroom. It is very enlightening. Keep up the great work you are doing. Even though the situation is challenging at times, you are making a difference, (yes, even though you are a white, Mormon girl from Utah). Thanks for your post. I love your blog.
Stereotypes drive me crazy. While there are frequently strands of truth to many of them, I think that they tend to do more damage that good. You can't accurately define individuals by group characteristics. I can't believe another teacher would say that about you...but I am glad you are influencing others to look past negative stereotypes.
It is very enlightening. Keep up the great work you are doing. Even though the situation is challenging at times, you are making a difference, Thanks for your post.
___________________
Vince
Naton wide cash is easy and fast
Post a Comment