Thursday, June 21, 2007

Diary of a Pack Rat

Today I conquered the unconquerable. I went through every corner of my room in a major de-cluttering overhaul. For the past 10 months I have "cleaned" my room by stashing things in whatever I can find to give my room the appearance of being clean. I like to refer to this type of cleaning as "organized chaos". I simply stack and stash. I know where everything is, and on the outside one would think that is clean.


I recognize that this is a dangerous skill. It is amazing how much junk can accumulate in a short amount of time. I know I have a problem. I have done this since a small child. I tend to save things that I think I would be able to use one day.


So, today I pulled out every box, bin, drawer, and shelf that has been hiding the chaos.

I was a little (okay, a lot!) overwhelmed!



It took nearly six hours to sort, toss, box, and re-organize it all.


Two bags of garbage and two bags of clothes for D.I. later,



my room not only appears clean, but it is clean! I feel so liberated...



and exhausted.


Before:
After:

6 comments:

Kels said...

holy room. ms. childs, thats unacceptable.

Vanessa Swenson said...

i'm afraid to do that with my room. it'd take a century.

Anonymous said...

So did you find any friends in your little excursion? I hope not I hate our friends...That just come and go as they please

Erika said...

If by friends you mean roaches, my prayers were answered. I did not see a single bug. The funny thing is that I've noticed an interesting coincidence. I've hardly seen a bug since my roommates have left for the summer. Weird.

Myra Bybee said...

I am proud of you! You are overcoming your pack rat tendencies!

just a little bit mo said...

You amaze me! I've been trying to organize my room for years. If you have some hints, next time you're in Provo . . . JK. I'd rather watch a really cheesy church movie with you instead. Or even just talk. Do people do that anymore? Loved your photo story, btw. The steps to room declutterization!