Monday, January 7, 2008

The same as usual

Things haven't changed much since I got back to school. Here is a sample of some conversations I had with my students today. Unfortunately, these topics are all too common.

"Ms. Childz, my uncle was killed a few days ago when someone knocked half his head in with a brick."

"I didn't like New Year's Eve very much cuz there was so much shooting".

I thoughtlessly told the students to use some new vocabulary words with their mamas at home. (I usually just use the word family). One student shouted out,
"What if you can't say 'em to your mama cuz she's in jail?".

Good question.

3 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

I am glad that Matt Kelley is always there for you, so reliable, and with no suprises. No wonder you are dating.

Larissa said...

Ok, so between your incredulous entry and myra's comment, I am left with feelings of confusion - do I laugh? do I cry? your world out there is just..soo...wow...

Alexis said...

Speaking of dating...remember that HORRIBLE double date we went on? At one point we thought he was addressing you, but then we realized he thought Ian's name was Erik...I'm sorry about that! We are so happy to get to see you soon! And smooth move about getting a ticket for Rachel and Anna...now we are gonna get to meet her! See you sooon!