Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Perspective

Today as we were walking in to class one of my students came up and put her arms around me. She told me, "Ms. Chilz, my daddy told me that if I have a hard time today that you just need to hold me extra tight." I asked why today might be hard, and I wasn't quite expecting her answer. "My brother died yesterday", she responded. She then starting bawling on my shoulder.

I immediately began comparing this heartbreaking moment to the hard times my friends and I here in Vegas have been going through. A good friend of ours was in a longboarding accident a couple of weeks ago and passed away Sunday evening. Her brother and my friend were the same age. Both deaths were unexpected and both guys left behind family and friends that cared about them. It took everything in me to not start bawling right along with her.

As I continued to think about this, my heart started breaking even more for my sweet student. I couldn't believe that her parents sent her to school the next day. I wished all day that she could go home to be with her family. Most of all I wished that her family fully understood the Plan of Happiness. What a blessing it is to know that this life brings us one step closer to being reunited with our Heavenly Father. What a blessing it is to know that TC will be reunited with his eternal family one day. I just hope that TC will find my student's brother and give him the chance to accept the truths of this wonderful gospel.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

We just heard last night about your friends passing and we are praying for you and your friends. I don't think that was any coincidence about your student confiding that in you. She's lucky to have you:)