Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rapping Debut

Saturday evening our school hosted the equivalent of a neighborhood block party. I'm still not sure what the real purpose of the event was, but we had different organizations advertising community events, free immunizations in the library, jumping houses, face painting, and plenty of hotdogs and pickup basketball games.


Towards the end of the evening some guy asked the dj to play some beats so he could do a little freestyle rapping. After the guy tried (and the key word is "tried") his hand at making up a rap, the dj opened up the mic. to the kids. Only a few brave souls tried.


I then hear the dj say, "Okay. Now we need a teacher!", and the next thing I know I am being mobbed by a bunch of small children screaming my name and pushing me up to the front. I had to make a quick decision. Do I make a scene by trying to refuse, or do I look ridiculous as a white girl trying to rap? I took the latter option (which I'm still not sure was the correct choice). I don't remember at all what came out-some lines that all ended with words that rhyme with school, I think. I do remember the dj laughing at me at making comments like "go girl!".


I am still getting teased by the other teachers. The 5th grade teachers call me their little white rappa' star every time they see me .


This was definitely one of those moments when I stop and ask myself, "How did I get here?". In my wildest imagination I would have never guessed I would be rappin' in the 'hood for an audience from the 'hood.

6 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

I love you, Bepa.
I think you've got a future here. Tchau Bette Midler. Hello Shizz Bepa.
This new persona will go well with your boyfriend.
You might need some new dental work, too.

Myra Bybee said...

And I....And I....

Anonymous said...

What I wouldn't have given to see this.

nateandrebecca said...

I agree with Andy...LOL!

Christie C said...

Little white rappa' star? But Mz. Chilz, I thought you was black!

Sam said...

Ms. Childs, I imagine I'll be having the same kind of experience as you because I'll become a teacher in two years time. Perhaps then I can ask you for some advice :)

The Rhymeweaver
Malaysian hip hop for the intelligent listener