Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Thursday 6/20/13

This morning I got up and joined the creole students for their morning language lessons.  They have all been here for about two weeks, so I felt a little ridiculous trying to jump in to the class at this point.  I pretended that I understood what was going on, but most the time just felt overwhelmed.  A new session will start in about a week, so I’m looking forward to starting from the beginning with the new group of students.
            After lunch K. and I began brainstorming plans for the Student Health and Wellness Center.  I am so excited to get this work going, and it was pretty refreshing to feel like this is something that I genuinely feel qualified to do.  I know how to do trauma counseling.  I know how to teach psychoeducation classes on stress management, healthy coping skills, etc.  Who knew?  J  K. also asked if I would help teach her Health Psychology class.  The class has about 50 students and she wanted to give them more practical skills, so for the next 8 weeks we will divide the class and I will teach half of them for four weeks while K. teaches the others, and then switch groups for the remaining four weeks.  I was again excited that I felt totally comfortable volunteering at kind of the last minute to teach classes on listening/communication, relaxation therapy techniques, and cognitive behavioral therapy. 
            I spent the rest of the afternoon studying Creole independently.  My roommates have given me their old notebooks so I am now just trying to memorize vocabulary words so I can focus on grammar when I actually start the language classes.  We had another incredible thunderstorm all throughout the evening, with the most gorgeous rainbow that went from one side of the narrow valley we live on to the other. 

            Pretty much everyone in the house decided to go to a local hotel known for its late-night parties.  C. and I decided to stay back and I thought I was just going to have a quiet evening.  There were a few guys that didn’t go out, either.  S. is a Haitian student at ETS who also teaches the Creole classes and teaches some at the school.  I ended up talking with him for a long time about his counseling work in the IDP camps after the earthquake and other experiences he has had.  While we were talking, another guy that teaches here named J. came in.  I had just told Soulouqe that I have never had alcohol, and he announced this to J. with great astonish  J. immediately asked me if I was Mormon, which turned in to another hour-long conversation with S., J., and soon another teacher named D. who overheard our conversation and wanted to come learn about Mormons, too.  It turned out S. has some good friends who are Mormons, but this was J. and D.’s first time to ever talk to a Mormon, and they immediately started asking me all kinds of questions.  The first question was about the “underwear”.  They were amazed to learn that there were Mormons that lived outside of Utah.  I fielded questions about the Sacrament, the Word of Wisdom, living prophets, Joseph Smith, and why we have so many rules.  I definitely was not expecting this interrogation and was kind of exhausted when the conversation came to an end, but it was so fun to have people willing to ask questions to clear up their own stereotypes and misperceptions with a genuine non-judgmental curiosity. 
ment.

No comments: