I spent the morning getting caught up on my journal/blog and
some email. It’s nice to have a pretty
flexible schedule right now so I can get prep work done for the counseling
center, class, self-guided creole studying, and anything else I want to
do. The mornings are quiet as everyone
else is busy in the creole classes or teaching, and I can sit out on the porch
and focus on what I need to do.
M.,
one of the Creole students, wanted to run up the road to the Baptist
Mission. I have heard they have an
amazing bakery up there so I went along for the ride. This was the first real touristy place I have
been, and it was weird to see so many white people (all wearing some kind of
mission trip shirt) everywhere. They did
have an amazing selection of breads, jams, and other delicious Haitian treats. I tried some coconut candy and oatmeal bread,
all of which were amazing.
I memorized
some more Creole vocabulary and spent some time talking with S. in the
afternoon. He was telling me about some of his experiences around 2004-2005 when violence in the streets was a commonplace occurrence following the ousting of one of the Haitian presidents.
My
roommates and I have decided to take turns cooking dinner for each other, so my
night was tonight. I made spaghetti with
vegetable-packed sauce (I know, I actually chose to do this) because we have
been eating so much rice and beans that I was really ready for something
different. Most everyone in the house
had left to go for a walk and then to get drinks at the little bar down the
road. C., L., N., and I stayed, which turned out to be a good thing
because there was a torrential rainstorm that started flooding the roads. The four of us spent the evening playing
games and talking.
Right before bed I saw
something big and black come crawling across the floor. It was probably a good, fat 2 inches
big. I refused to look at it, but made
my roommates take care of whatever it was.
They know of my fear of cockroaches, so they obliged.
2 comments:
Our dearest Erika,
Just wanted you to know we are following your adventures! Thanks so very much for sharing them.
With our Prayers and Love
Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Bryce
Thanks,may God Bless you
Post a Comment