Friday June 29, 2012
Africa: Day 19
Kelsey and
I spent the morning at Pantang Psychiatric Hospital. We are going to be working in the drug rehab
unit, but it’s still unclear what our responsibilities are going to be. So far it has been a lot of observing. That could be the extent of it, but there is
so much to learn from these observations that I think it will be very
interesting work.
We accompanied
a few of the staff on their cleaning check rounds. Every bed, closet, living space, and bathroom
is inspected and checked off. If there
is some kind of infraction like having too many articles of clothing on one
hanger, an empty water bottle next to a bed, or a cuff of a shirt rolled up and
hung that way in the closet, then the person is called out during the “Morning
Meeting” and has to stand to accept the responsibility of the mistake. I couldn’t get over how serious they take
things here. It’s a good thing they
don’t inspect my room!
The Morning
Meeting is also quite an experience. The
twenty rehab patients meet in a circle and started the meeting with a prayer,
scripture, singing of the Ghanaian National Anthem, and a recitation of the
rehab motto. Then the group listens to
general announcements, the results of the cleaning inspections, any other
“bookings” or infractions that were recorded the previous day. Someone had left a little sachet of water in
the common room the night before. The group
leader asked for the who did this to stand in order to accept responsibility
for this action. No one stood, so the group leader then had every person in the
circle stand and they all had to take the blame because one person’s actions
becomes the family’s responsibility if the individual is not courageous enough
to step forward.
The group
leader announced that it was now time to begin the second half of the
meeting. All of a sudden the entire
group chants back in a monotone, emotionless tone “second half; we love second
half”. The leader was not satisfied with
the quiet response so he made them do it again, this time with more
enthusiasm. I was biting my tongue so
hard trying to keep from laughing at this point.
The second
half of the meeting was filled with a person coming up and discussing a words
of the day and how it relates to their experience in rehab, some other people
came up and gave trivia questions (mostly about various facts of Ghanaian
government procedures) for the audience to answer, and a couple of people
shared more scriptures. My favorite
part, though, were the singers. One man
came up and led the group in a gospel song.
The other singer got up and sang “You Feel Up My Senses” with more
emotion than I have ever heard this song performed. I’m pretty sure I almost bit my tongue off at
this point. I just kept thinking, “How
did this become my life? How did I end
up sitting in a drug rehab unit in a small town in Africa listening to a man
sing John Denver!?!” I love all of the
unexpected experiences my life’s path seems to take me to. Especially this one.
Kelsey sat
through a couple of groups following the morning meeting. The first was the weekly “Sharing Meeting”
where they all go around and share their answers to different journal prompts
they answer during the week. They
answered questions about how they spent their weekend, how they slept one
night, the hardest part of another day, and how they are coping with the
program.
Then the patients that have been in
the program for less than two months met for a self-esteem group. They all stay
for a minimum of six months, but could end up staying for much longer (one guy
had been there for more than two years) depending on if their counselors think
they are making adequate progress). It
seemed to me that a lot of the concerns and feelings that were brought up in
these meetings were based on the fact that they have no idea when they will be
able to leave to see their families again.
I couldn’t imagine being there day after day and without an end in
sight. At least prisoners get the
courtesy of having a sentence time.
Kelsey and I joined the patients
for a delicious lunch of banku and fish.
I think the men were happy to have some distractions from their
routine. As we were finishing, one man
came up and told me how sad he was that I didn’t sit at his table. Another man jumped up to clear my plate for
me, and while one guy helped me wash my hands by pouring the warm water on my
hands while I stood over a bucket, another old man told me that he was going to
come visit me in the United States. My
tongue was seriously hurting by this time as I tried not to laugh at them
fighting for our attention.
The patients have siesta and
recreation time after lunch, so Kelsey and I left to go back to Accra. We met up with the other girls who spent the
morning at the other psychriatic hospital and left to meet our friend S. at
a bus station to go to the Volta Region for the weekend. It took some time finding everyone in the
same bus station (and by bus station, I mean crazy market area with people,
vendors, taxis, vans, and coach buses all vying for the same limited
space). It was also really uncomfortable
when one bus driver literally pushed us on to his bus in front of everyone
else. I felt like I had just walked back
into 1963. It’s kind of disgusting the
power that white privilege has sometimes.
I spent the bus ride talking to
S. about various Ghanaian traditional beliefs, the Church, and religions
in general. We got to our hotel, checked
into our rooms (I ended up in what we decided must be the “dance room” because
it was lit only by a dim blue light bulb that barely illuminated the blue
walls), then found some dinner at a little shop near the hotel. The hotel advertises that it also has a
restaurant, but apparently they don’t actually have food to serve in their
large dining area. We all ended up
talking more about religions and I had many opportunities to answer questions
and share my own beliefs and testimony about our church.
I went to bed tired from a busy
day, happy to have more great missionary experiences, and a little nervous
about what creatures may have been sharing the bed with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment