Sunday July 8, 2012 Africa:
Day 28
I had
planned last week with Arinze’s brother TG to meet him at his ward today. I was excited that Kelsey was coming with me
as we took a cab out the Adenta ward. A
little 9-year-old girl was walking into the church with her family the same
time we were, and suddenly she took my hand and sat by me through sacrament
meeting. I love the friendliness of
people here! It was a great experience
for me to try to listen to each church meeting from the perspective of an
investigator. Kelsey looked at me funny
and asked why we were taking shots. I
had to explain that it was water for the sacrament. J
A young woman and a sister gave beautiful
talks on the Book of Mormon, and then a brother came up and gave a long sermon
on self-sufficiency. I kind of felt it
was more an opportunity for him to share some of his own opinions on how to
become a successful businessman, and at one point suggested that people in the
ward get together and start a co-op. The
talk in English was plenty long, and then he stopped and gave his entire talk
again in Twi. The bishop had to ask him
to sit down as the minutes kept ticking by.
The bishop’s wife taught a great lesson in both Sunday School and Relief
Society.
During the Relief Society
lesson the conversation moved to the importance of food storage and emergency
preparedness. Kelsey later commented that
she loved hearing about this, especially because that’s such a focus of our
school program, and again I was reminded of all the things that I take for
granted. I forget that not everyone has been raised with bottles of water
stored in their closets and buckets of wheat sitting in the basement. I did love hearing the perspective from the
sisters in Ghana, though. Many gave
personal examples of how they were so grateful to have food and water storage
following some recent floods. Many kept
referencing the upcoming election as another reason to be up-to-date on their
food storage because, as they kept saying, this is Africa and you never know
what can happen.
After
church we met up with TG and I tried to help him fix a problem with the kindle
that Arinze sent with me to give to him.
He helped us get a cab back to Accra, and Kelsey and I went straight to
the mall. I didn’t love that this was
how I was going to spend the rest of the Sabbath, but I think Heavenly Father
will understand that I’m trying to do the best I can under the circumstances
this summer. We ate some pizza at the
food court, then happened to run into Stephen and his cousin. We all went and watched the Disney movie Brave, then went home. The other girls eventually got back and we
all headed to bed after a very busy and very fun weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment