Sunday, July 8, 2012


Sunday July 1, 2012  Africa:  Day 21
            I got up this morning at 6:30 to say goodbye to the girls before they left for a day of hiking.  I decided to stay at the hotel and enjoy a relaxing fast Sunday.  We share two cell phones between the four of us.  I thought that the phone that Liz and I usually use had died the day before, so I was feeling a little uncomfortable not having a line of communication between the two.  I also didn’t feel comfortable trekking out to find a church building without a phone in case something happened.  So, I spent the morning reading my scriptures and catching up on my journal.  There was a slight possibility that Stephen was going to join us here this morning, but I really didn’t think he would show up.  At about 11:00 I had the thought to try and turn the phone on.  Amazingly it worked.  I probably should have tried that easy solution a lot earlier.  I could have even made it to church at 9:00.  I sheepishly called the girls to let them know that the phone had been working all along, and they informed me that Stephen was on his way to the hotel.  I gave him a call and in less than an hour from the phone working, he was here.  Stephen and I hung out at the hotel until the girls got back.  It was a much needed afternoon of rest after a very busy week.
            The girls got back around six, and Kelsey, Stephen, and I went to the same hotel we had dinner at the night before to have dinner and watch the Euro Cup soccer finals between Spain and Italy.  Liyam and Liz joined us a little bit later.  We sat on a covered patio watching the game on a little fuzzy television while a tropical storm poured down around us.  The scene was quite dramatic with constant flashes of lightening, huge claps of thunder, and palm trees being whipped around by the strong winds and rain.  By the time we left, the storm had passed and Spain had won the game.  I was actually cold sitting up there, but I couldn’t admit this because of a warning the cab driver randomly gave me as I got out of the car for dinner.  He told me “Have fun while you chill.  Go chill, but don’t go freeze.  Because if you freeze in Ghana, you will freeze forever”.  I didn’t like the sound of that, so I went pretended that I was completely comfortable.  :)

No comments: