Saturday July 7, 2012 Africa: Day 27
Today was
the first day in a very long time that I could enjoy a leisurely morning. I still woke up early (people here in the
hostel seem to always be up early talking in the hallways), so I just laid in
bed reading for a couple of hours. I
took my time getting ready and even tried to do my hair (again, another thing
that hasn’t happened all summer). After
a few attempts of trying to straighten it, I again ended up surrendering to the
humidity-induced waves.
Kelsey and
I then set out around 11 to try and buy the football tickets. We went back to Koala, and they told us that they weren’t selling the tickets, but
at least they confirmed that there was a game today. They sent us to Frankie’s, a restaurant down the road in
Osu. We went there and the people looked
just as confused as the five other places we have been sent to for these
elusive tickets. One man told us that
they sell them at the stadium. So, after two days and six attempts at four
different locations, we were finally able to buy tickets for the game that
started in a couple of hours. Kelsey and
I decided to just hang out and eat lunch at the stadium until the game
started. We also got tickets for some of
our other friends who showed up at various points during the club match between
the Ghana Chelsea team and a team from Egypt.
Kelsey and I again started
thinking that we were crashing a bro fest.
It took some work to find another female in the stands. I was just as entertained by the crowd as the
game. I would love to see the reaction
if I started to walk around a US stadium somewhere selling plain loaves of
bread from a bowl on my head. I also
think that African drumming groups offer twice as much as marching bands. They provided excellent music and brought
more energy to the crowd than a cheerleading group ever could. The game was tied during most of the second
half, then the Ghana team made the winning goal in the last couple minutes of
the game. The stands went crazy! People were screaming, cheering, and slapping
hands with everyone around them. I think
because we were female Abrunis, Kelsey and I got a lot of the celebratory
attention. All these guys kept giving us
high fives, shaking our hands, and cheering with us.
After the
game we decided to go to Labodi beach. The beach
was nice and relaxing. I think it was
more relaxing this time because Kelsey and I were surrounded by five local guys
and the vendors didn't seem to bother us much. We all walked
along the beach just as the sun was setting.
There’s something extra amazing about watching an African sunset over
the ocean.
Arelo
suggested a place to eat in Osu, so we eventually ended up at our the Thai place again. Some of the other guys that we went to the game and beach with had left by this point, so Kelsey, Stephen, his cousin, and I enjoyed a delicious
dinner of pad thai. Most of the dinner
conversation was a heated debate about religion and politics. It was great to have so many
opportunities tonight to teach more about the Mormon faith, share some of my
own testimony about different principles and practices, and clear up some misperceptions that some of
them had (like reading that when you become a Mormon you are given a
Mercedes- how come I haven’t ever received my car???) I love all the missionary opportunities I
have been able to have on this trip, but I will admit that sometimes it would
be nice to be around another Mormon once in a while so I don’t have to be
constantly be under a microscope and have to explain every action. I am very excited, though, because Kelsey is
going to come to church with me tomorrow and Stephen said that he would come
another time.
No comments:
Post a Comment